Learn what philosophers and scientists have thought about sex through the ages.
Non editable automatic button
Knowing the history of sexology is a AASECT-required Core Knowledge Area. In this course, you will learn about sexology from ancient to contemporary times. The learning activities include listening to lectures, watching films, writing a brief responsive essay, and passing a quiz. The activities are to be done in order. You must check off each activity as complete before you can proceed to the next.
Learning activities include:
- 4-part lecture on the history of sexology
- Watching the film "Kinsey"
- Participating in an online discussion
Keep in mind that there are, of course, multiple "histories," and not just one American-centric history of sexology. In a later module and course, the subject of culture and sexuality will be presented.
As a result of taking this course, you will be able to:
1. Describe the study of sexology and the disciplines that contribute to understanding.
2. Summarize at least six essential advances in the understanding of human sexuality.
3. Explain how advances in technology affected human sexual behavior.
4. Identify and describe the contributions of at least six leaders in the field of sexology.
5. Compare social mores as they relate to sexual behavior over the course of human history.
6. Describe at least three issues that will need to be addressed by future sexologists.
Total CE Hours: 2
*If seeking AASECT Certification, these hours may count as follows:
Area P: 2 hours
Exam and Evaluation
You are required to take an exam to demonstrate that you read and understood the material. This course includes two exams and one evaluation. You will have three tries on each exam to pass at 80% or better. Once you complete the course evaluation, you will be able to automatically download your certificate of completion.
Psychologists: TBI is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TBI maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
Registered Nurses: TBI is an approved provider of continuing education by the Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 16394.
AASECT Members: TBI is approved by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists to provide continuing education units toward certification as a Sex Therapist or Counselor, Provider # 12-13-Q.
Purchase this course by clicking on the "Enroll" button.
Privacy statement: We will never distribute your information to anyone.
Dr. Stephanie Buehler is a licensed psychologist, AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, and author of several books including What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know About Sex, 2nd Ed. For more information, please see below.
Dr. Stephanie Buehler
Newport Beach, CA
Psychologist, sex therapist, author, speaker, and continuing education provider.