Examine the unique dynamics, strengths, and challenges faced by LGBTQ couples. This standalone course is packed with 8 hours of material, broken into manageable activities. A great way to get a lot of AASECT hours! The Buehler Institute is APA, NBCC, CA BRN approved.
Non editable automatic button
After taking this course, learners will have read about and considered relationship dynamics in LGB couples. They will examine and be able to describe unique challenges to sexual health faced by lesbian women, gay men, and men who have sex with men (MSM). They will also be able to provide, according to the PLISSIT model, limited information and specific suggestions regarding challenges to sexual health. Finally, because good sexual health includes safe sex, learners will identify what HIV is, how it is treated, and how to prevent it, as well as how a person's mental health affects how well they protect themselves from the disease.
As a result of taking this course, you will be able to:
1. Describe romantic relationship dynamics in LGB couples.
2. Describe unique challenges faced by LGB couples.
3. Apply knowledge of LGB couples to case examples.
4. Identify at least three major areas of concern regarding sexual health in lesbian women.
5. Report information and suggestions one could provide to lesbian women with sexual health concerns.
6. Identify at least three majors areas of concern regarding sexual health in gay men and men who have sex with men (MSM).
7. Report information and suggestions one could provide to gay men and MSM with sexual health concerns.
8. Demonstrate knowledge of the transmission of HIV and development of AIDS.
9. Examine how mental health problems may interfere with sound decision making to prevent HIV/AIDS.
Total CE Hours: 8
* If seeking AASECT certification, these hours may count as follows:
Area E: 3 hours
Area I: 4 hours
Area H: 1 hours
Exam and Evaluation
You are required to take an exam to demonstrate that you read and understood the material. This course contains two exams and one evaluation. You will have three tries on each exam to pass at 80% or better. Once you complete the course evaluation, you will be able to automatically download your certificate of completion.
Psychologists: TBI is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TBI maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
Registered Nurses: TBI is an approved provider of continuing education by the Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 16394.
AASECT Members: TBI is approved by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists to provide continuing education units toward certification as a Sex Therapist or Counselor, Provider # 12-13-Q.
Purchase this course by clicking on the "Enroll" button.
Privacy statement: We will never distribute your information to anyone.
Dr. Stephanie Buehler is a licensed psychologist, AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, and author of several books including What Every Mental Health Professional Needs To Know About Sex, 2nd Ed. For more information, please see below.
Dr. Stephanie Buehler
Laguna Beach, CA
Director of The Buehler Institute and LearnSexTherapy.com. Psychologist, sex therapist, author, speaker, and continuing education provider.