A course that covers broad ground, from the history of orientation and gender in the DSM to dealing with heterosexism.
Non editable automatic button
In this course, you will survey key terms related to LGBTQ concepts; examine the binary systems of gender identity and sexual orientation, as well as heterosexist assumptions; learn the fundamental theoretical causes of sexual orientation; study Cass's stages of identity formation; be exposed to transgender concepts and updates in WPATH guidelines; and review tenets of gay affirmative therapy.
As a result of taking this course, you will be able to:
1. Apply key terms of LGBTQ orientation and/or gender identity to case examples.
2. Examine the binary system of gender identity and sexual orientation and hetero-normative assumptions.
3. Examine changes in attitude toward LGBT individuals as reflected in changes in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual over time.
4. Apply at least two theories of the development of sexual orientation to case examples.
5. Describe Cass's stage model of LGB identity formation.
6. Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of the experience of being transgender.
7. Summarize recent changes in WPATH guidelines.
8. Understand and reflect upon heterosexism in American culture in the service of becoming a gay affirmative therapist or counselor.
9. Demonstrate knowledge of at least three tenets of gay affirmative therapy.
Total CE Units: 9
* If seeking AASECT certification, these hours may count as the following:
Area B: 2 units
Area D: 3 units
Area O: 4 units
Exam and Evaluation
You are required to take an exam to demonstrate that you read and understood the material. This course contains two exams and one evaluation. You will have three tries on each exam to pass at 80% or better. Once you complete the course evaluation, you will be able to automatically download your certificate of completion.
Psychologists: TBI is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TBI maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
Registered Nurses: TBI is an approved provider of continuing education by the Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 16394.
AASECT Members: TBI is approved by the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists to provide continuing education units toward certification as a Sex Therapist or Counselor, Provider #12-13-Q.
Purchase this course by clicking on the "Enroll" button.
Privacy statement: We will never distribute your information to anyone.
Dr. Stephanie Buehler is a licensed psychologist, AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, and author of several books including What Every Mental Health Professional Needs to Know About Sex, 2nd Ed. For more information, please see below.